Monday, August 21, 2017

Denial of Responsibility

http://www.kcci.com/article/teen-charged-in-madison-county-bridge-arson-to-use-intoxication-as-defense/11647494

A teenager torches a bridge in Madison County. His excuse is he was drunk and therefore isn't responsible for his actions. After performing an asinine act people often say 'that's not how I normally am, the drugs and/or alcohol made me do it' as i that somehow justifies it. The truth is alcohol doesn't change people, it just helps them be who they really are.

It was always people. They become obnoxious and unbearable when they imbibe. I've always been a loner but alcohol is what pushed me from a simple dislike to an active hatred of people. When I turned 21 while in college, the day before St. Patrick's Day, I learned the hard way that people don't see you as a friend. They see you as a drinking buddy. You exist to reassure them that they're not an alcoholic and if you fail to provide that reassurance then you're lower than a cockroach to them. They'll say to your face that 'they don't care if you don't drink' but you can feel in their voice the contempt they have for you.

The worst part is the denial of responsibility. Whereas seasoned alcoholics will say that the can quit whenever they want to, college kids will say 'I'm too young to be an alcoholic' or 'I only drink socially' or, most annoying of all, 'Don't act like you've never made a mistake'. I've made plenty of mistakes but none of those involved vandalism, assault, arson, breaking into a restaurant and stealing food, or driving drunk and wrecking my car and possibly killing people. And the college circle celebrates this. There are few things I hate more than when people brag about getting arrested for being a drunken douche like it's some accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment